Friday, March 30, 2012

Mock Beef Stew

Ever had one of those days when you get an idea for dinner but don't have the right ingredients? I did today. When I finally remembered to go through the freezer to figure out what to make for dinner, it was already 5 o'clock. I had considered defrosting a roast and putting it in the pressure cooker, but I don't have roasts anymore. So I looked for some stew meat instead, but we're out of that too. The only other option I had at such a late time was hamburger. But you can't make beef stew out of hamburger... or can you? I did!

If I had had more time I would have boiled some fresh potatoes and carrots, but especially up here at 7,000 ft it takes at least 30-40 minutes before they're done. So I used canned potatoes and carrots instead.

And now that I've gotten all that out of the way, here's the recipe I came up with!

1 lb hamburger
About a teaspoon of garlic powder (fresh garlic would have been better, but I'm out of that too right now)
Half a teaspoon of onion powder
1 can of tomato soup
1 cans worth of water
A few tablespoons of oregano
1 can of carrots
1 can cooked potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown hamburger in a large skillet over high heat with garlic and onion powders. Once browned, add the rest of the ingredients, stir well, then simmer for about 15 minutes.

All told, it only took about a half an hour to get this meal on the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment